- January 20, 2021
- Posted by: Stephen Webb
- Category: Being The Bad Guy For Good Reasons
“We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.” – Archilochus
You may have seen this quote before. And like me you may have immediately thought “training” implies exercise, a skill, or a task you need to get better at for your job.
But you “train” in other ways. Especially in this context of falling to your training.
When the s*** hits the fan …
– Do you immediately get negative? You’ve trained yourself to think negative.
– Do you immediately over-generalize? You’ve trained yourself to say “They always” or “you never.”
– Do you immediately grab the donuts when you’re stressed? You’ve trained yourself to crave stress carbs.
– Do you immediately turn on that TV show full of negativity and sex and gossip? You’ve trained yourself to ingest that crap.
– Do you immediately think you should just stay in bed? You’ve trained yourself to be lazy and not push through.
Wherever you “fall” in response to something, you’ve trained that way. Like it or not, you’ve built you.
Be renewed. Transform your mind.
- Do something uncomfortable today.
- Eat something you don’t like today.
- Get up early regardless of how you feel. You’re not 10.
- Go outside.
- Listen to different music just once today.
- Watch a show that teaches you something, not just entertains you.
Train yourself up in the way you should go. It’s not just a verse for parents.